I have just came in with this important news!
Julie Sternberg author of “Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie” gave us some amazing tips about writing good stories!
The most important news I heard was that she is writing her second book -I’ll keep watching for it!
I was at my local book store for a writing program for kids given by Julie Sternberg .
Here are some interesting facts I learned about what happened when she was writing the book:
1. ) She really doesn’t like pickles (me too Julie!)
2) The book was first called “My Bibi” but she did not get to choose the title the publisher did.
3) It took her 8 months to write the story and a year for Matthew Cordell to illustrate it.
4) She never even met Matthew Cordell, but really likes his illustrations even though he drew some of the characters nothing like she was imagining.
5) The book started off as only an 8 page book and grew into an 80- page book (120 with pictures)
Then Julie Sternberg gave advice to us kids on how to write stories…….
- You write out your story first, then add the details.
- You can pick characters out of your mind, make people you actually know or knew into your story, or just make a combination.
- “Start with a great moment in life, and if you are writing a fiction book you can go crazy with it.” For example: your dad took you to the hardware store, but it didn’t have nails or bolts, it was filled with toys!
- You may want to write from the main character’s point of view, which could be harder if you are younger or older than the main character’s age.
- If you’re not so sure if your book makes sense, read it aloud.
- You can start with a tense beginning, then go on from there. For example: you were having a fight with your best friend on how to get along.
Speaking of a tense story…..
YOU say what will happen next in this example below…..
You were 12-years-old and told to look after your 6-year-old sister/brother(you choose) while your mom was shopping in a store that was an hour away.
Write what you think happens next in the story in the comment section —–
Categories: Other Stuff Related to Books and Reading